This blog is primarily concerned with NIS 2007 (and a bit on NIS 08). I have nothing to say about more recent versions.

This blog is more or less dormant (except for occasional comments on related news), and is being left on-line as a historical record and perhaps as a warning to future generations of anti-virus coders.

2008-01-27

LiveUpdate is cleaning up....few moments...

Okay, I give up. I can't guess. Please explain.

LiveUpdate was running when the ISP went off-line (rare, but it happens every now and then). So I clicked Cancel and LiveUpdate threw up a message that it was going to be 'cleaning up' for a 'few moments'.

I'm trying to imagine what sort of update algorithm, aborted at the point of checking for updates, would require more than a few milliseconds to abort. I can't even imagine what sort of thought process would generate a system that needs almost a minute of (modern dual core) CPU time to simply abort an update check. It defies logic.

Cleaning Up

No comments: