This blog is primarily concerned with NIS 2007 (and a bit on NIS 08). I have nothing to say about more recent versions.

This blog is more or less dormant (except for occasional comments on related news), and is being left on-line as a historical record and perhaps as a warning to future generations of anti-virus coders.

2008-02-23

Interim Poll Results - Resource Hog

The current opinion poll (in the right-hand column) currently shows the issue of Symantec Software being a 'Resource Hog' is the prime concern. In second place is 'Destablizes system'. I note with interest that 'Subscription fees' is the LEAST concern!

On the subject of being a Resource Hog, I can attest to that. When I removed NIS07 from my old XP desktop (necessitated by terrible stability issues), it was as if I had a brand new computer. My 2001-era Dell Dimension 8100 with a 1.3GHz P4 running Windows XP suddenly seemed like a high performance computer. Click-pause became click-react.

If a PC is infected with a virus or spyware, it might cause the computer to slow down and perhaps become unstable. On the other hand, apparently if one installs Symantec software it will cause the computer to slow down and probably become unstable.

So we pay money to change 'might' to 'will' and change 'perhaps' to 'probably'.

I guess having more certainty in life is a good thing [ARGH??!!??].

No comments: